A vitamin infusion, or nutritional IV drip, is a treatment that delivers essential vitamins and nutrients directly into the bloodstream. Even though there are vitamins and minerals in the healthy foods we eat, sometimes, they may not be enough, especially if a patient has chronic health problems or interference from medications.
To help with supplementation, IV vitamin cocktails safely and directly deliver nutrition, bypassing the slow digestive process that may not absorb everything that is required of our bodies. Additionally, some IV treatments don’t merely treat deficiencies. They can be formulated to restore hydration after strenuous exercise, boost your immune system, promote skin rejuvenation, and contribute to many other health benefits.
Although IV drip therapy is not meant to replace primary treatments of serious, chronic conditions, giving your body the tools it requires to heal is beneficial to reducing symptoms related to:
- Migraine Headaches
- Upper Respiratory Infections
- Seasonal Allergies
- Chronic Urticaria
- Menstrual Pain
At Comprehensive Rheumatology Center, our highly skilled experienced rheumatologists, Dr. Nazanin Firooz and Dr. Phillip Aleksiejuk and nurse practitioner, Jada Pascual stand by the efficacy of IV vitamins as a means to optimize patients’ health and well-being. If you are in the Greater Los Angeles area, please reach out to us for a consultation by calling (818) 598-0000 or requesting one through our contact form. We will closely evaluate your individual needs and recommend the best form of treatment catered to you.
History of IV Vitamin Therapy
The evolution of IV vitamin therapy can be traced back to the early 20th century when scientists and medical professionals began exploring alternative methods of delivering nutrients to the body. Pioneers in this field experimented with various techniques and formulations to create a more efficient and targeted approach to vitamin supplementation.
The Myers Cocktail
Dr. John Myers was the first to create a unique formulation of B vitamins, electrolytes, Vitamin C, and other vitamins and minerals that he coined the “Myers Cocktail”. His unique recipe was meant to relieve symptoms related to migraine headaches, fatigue, asthma, specific allergies, and muscle spasms. (1) It was then popularized by Dr. Alan Gaby, a president of the American Holistic Medical Association. The Myers Cocktail made its debut in the 1970s, the formula has been improved upon and is now offered here at Comprehensive Rheumatology Center- in addition to many other variations of IV therapy.
What is the Advantage of IV Infusion?
We use intravenous administration of vitamins and nutrients because it achieves much higher serum concentrations than when taken by mouth. This has shown to make the vitamins more effective, as they are absorbed directly into the bloodstream instead of waiting for digestion.
The Contents of IV Cocktails
Depending on your needs, one of our providers will tailor a specific blend of essential vitamins and minerals, ensuring that you absorb a safe amount that is effective at treating your ailment/s:
- Magnesium is an electrolyte, so it helps the body maintain adequate hydration levels. It also regulates blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and it contributes to the health of muscles and nerves.
- Calcium provides more density and structure for your bone and facilitates better nerve connectivity.
- Vitamin B12 supports the formation of healthy DNA and helps prevent macrocytic anemia which often results in increased fatigue and pallor. (2)
- Vitamin B6 aids the immune system and supports healthy metabolism and brain function. It helps in the creation of DNA, neurotransmitters, and red blood cells needed for proper oxygenation throughout the body.
- Biotin supports the nervous system and liver function as well as the health of the eyes, skin, and hair.
- Panthenol (B5) assists in the creation of blood cells and helps the body utilize carbs and fat for energy.
- B-complex includes 8 major B vitamins, giving you the full spectrum of their benefits. This includes B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, and B12.
- Vitamin C revitalizes the skin by promoting wound healing and boosting the production of collagen. It also optimizes the immune system, allows your body to absorb iron more efficiently, and works as an antioxidant- a substance that prevents cell damage. Increased cellular damage has been closely linked to cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and certain neurodegenerative conditions. (3)
- Glutathione is another antioxidant that facilitates cell growth and DNA maintenance.
- Zinc is essential for the immune system, wound healing, and the formation of DNA.
While this provides a general overview of each vitamin and mineral, keep in mind that each of these serves a wide variety of functions that contribute to several aspects of your physiology.
Candidates for IV Vitamins
IV vitamins are not designed to cure serious health issues, but they can be utilized as a supplemental treatment to reduce symptoms of the conditions listed above. This therapy is suitable for almost everyone since it is highly customizable, making it incredibly safe. If you are looking for relief from a chronic condition or are looking for improvements in mental focus, sleep, and energy levels, there is an IV therapy suited for you.
The team at Comprehensive Rheumatology Center takes the time to thoroughly understand each patient’s health goals, medical history, and current state of health prior to administering IV vitamins. Whether you are an athlete looking to maintain optimal hydration, someone dealing with chronic illness, or someone recovering from an illness, we prioritize safety and comfort. If you are ready to experience the transformative benefits of this nutritional therapy, we invite you to contact us at (818) 598-0000 to schedule a consultation at our Greater Los Angeles office. Alternatively, you can visit our website and fill out an online form to request an appointment.
Prior to your IV vitamin session, one of the providers at Comprehensive Rheumatology will review your medical history, conduct blood tests, and check vital signs such as your heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, and respiration rate. This will give them a valuable understanding of your overall health and what imbalances there may be..
Next, they will review your current prescriptions and any supplements you may already be taking. They may require that you make adjustments to these in order to prevent contraindications and interferences with the effectiveness of IV vitamins. Sometimes, it may be unsafe for patients with certain conditions to receive certain vitamins and minerals. For example, providers treating patients with neuromuscular disorders must practice extra care when prescribing magnesium, as this can further weaken the muscles. The team atComprehensive Rheumatology Center will take extra steps to ensure you are getting the appropriate treatment.
IV Vitamin Treatment
On the day of your IV session, you will sit in a comfortable chair for the duration of the treatment. Your provider will cleanse the inside crease of your elbow and place a butterfly needle into your vein. This needle will already be connected to an IV drip bag with your prepared formulation of vitamins and minerals. Over the course of 30 minutes to 1 hour, the bag will gradually administer the solution. We advise our patients to bring a book or something to watch. It’s vital that the cocktail is administered slowly in order to prevent side effects.
How Will I Feel After IV Vitamin Therapy?
Patients looking to achieve optimal hydration will notice immediate improvements in symptoms caused by a lack of electrolytes and/or certain vitamins. Those who have deficiencies will notice benefits over the course of a few days as their body takes time to replenish and metabolize the newly introduced nutrients. Those looking to boost their immune systems can incorporate this therapy as part of a healthy lifestyle.
After your treatment session, it’s normal to notice some mild side effects:
- Sensation of heat and flushing (magnesium side effect)
- Taste of vitamins in the mouth
- Lightheadedness and low blood pressure if given rapidly
- Small risk of pain, infections, and inflammation at the injection site (as in all IV infusions)
Cost of IV Vitamins in Greater Los Angeles
During your personal consultation with one of our providers, they will explain the various IV vitamin options available and provide you with an accurate estimate of the cost based on the recommended treatment plan. Our commitment to transparency ensures that you have a clear understanding of the financial investment involved in your effort towards enhanced well-being. If you are in the Greater Los Angeles area and are looking for quality holistic care, please call (818) 598-0000 or use our contact form to request your appointment today.
Are IV vitamins safe?
IV vitamin administration requires knowledge of a patient’s medical history and the preparation of a unique formulation to suit your health needs. IV vitamin infusion should only be conducted by a trained medical professional.
How often can I safely undergo IV vitamin therapy?
Those with chronic health conditions that limit the ability to absorb nutrients could benefit from once-per-week sessions, but it depends on the individual. Many patients notice lasting effects for several weeks before requiring another treatment.
Does IV vitamin therapy hurt?
Although the first injection of the butterfly needle can be a little uncomfortable, the process of receiving the vitamins and minerals intravenously is painless. You should drink some liquid prior to your appointment so that your veins dilate and your provider can easily find and inject your vein.
- Gaby AR, Intravenous Nutrient Therapy: The Myers’ Cocktail. Alternative Medicine Review. 2002;7(5):398-403. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12410623/
- Ankar A, Kumar A. Vitamin B12 Deficiency. Nih.gov. Published 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441923/
- Rahman K. Studies on free radicals, antioxidants, and co-factors. Clin Interv Aging. 2007;2(2):219-236. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684512/